Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Week 2 - MTC

I'm back!  Thank goodness for P-days, I don't know what I would do without them! lets get started!

This week was jam packed full of stress, doctrine, testimonies, devotionals, investigator lessons, and more!  I taught 13 lessons this week in the MTC and it's only gonna grow larger as I head out to the field this Wednesday!  I have to leave the MTC at 3:30 am and then catch my flight at 7:30. am  Then I have 5 hours til I arrive in Detroit then from there, it's an hour flight to Columbus.  Once I get to Columbus I'll have some training meetings to go to so that means I won't actually be proselyting til Thursday but I am so pumped to leave to Ohio!  The MTC has been the greatest experience FOR my life and now that it is coming to an end, I'm excited for new and better things.  

My experience of the week was a devotional we watched President Bednar teach yesterday.  It is a recording of a talk he gave at the MTC a few years ago, and in this talk he talked about a frequently asked question that people give him.  It was, "How do we know if it is the Holy Ghost talking to me or if it's me thinking?"

He put it plain and simple.  "Quit worrying about it.  Every good thing comes from God.  Be a good boy or Be a good girl. Keep the Commandments, Keep your Covenants, and work in Faith in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ."  He went on to give a few personal examples and inspired me to write in my journal about it and tell it you guys.  God works things out the way He wants them to work out.  There is a reason why people say God works in mysterious ways.

We also got to listen to the Nashville Tribute Band.  They are a group of former missionaries who sing songs about the Gospel in a country-type way.  At first I didn't think this would be a great experience, but I was wrong for judging before listening.  I can honestly say I don't like country music. In fact I have an EXTREME dislike for it.  But the Nashville Tribute Band brings the Spirit with them, and the Holy Ghost doesn't care if like country music or not.  The songs and testimonies they bore last night touched my heart, and I challenge you to look them up and they'll do the same to you.  My favorite song by them is called, "Stronger".  

Also, I wanted to say thank you to everyone that sends me packages and mail from home.  It means THE WORLD to me that people care enough to send candies and treats and heartfelt letters to people they aren't going to see for two whole years.  Charity is the Pure love of Christ and your examples have blessed me so much.

Sorry this is a shorter email, but since I am packing to leave for Ohio this Wednesday, I simply don't have time.  Love you all!  God loves you all too, so so much! Have a good week!

For Cooper- Hey little man! Hope everything is awesome at home! Beat some noobs at Halo for me!  I miss having you around, you could be my tiny companion.  Make sure mom doesn't destroy my room.  And most importantly, I hope one day you will want to go on a mission as well!  There are people waiting for you to bless them! Love ya!

For Chase- Chasey! Hi! Say hi to Yoshi for me! You're awesome bud! Miss you, don't go to Disneyland without me, okay?

For Colby- Hey brotha! Hope you and the family are doing good.  Since I'm gone, you have to be the man of the house whenever dad isn't around, can you handle that responsibility?  Everything you are doing now in young men's, priesthood meetings, scout camps, daily chores, the list goes on and on.  Those things are preparing you for a mission and I hope you have the desire to go on one,one day.  Take care of mom for me, she is the single most important person in your life right now so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I wish I was able to get closer with her while I was still there. Instead I was procrastinating homework and other stuff. She will always be there for you.

For Momma- Love you mom.  Its embarrassing that it took a life changing experience for me to appreciate how good I had it back home.  I miss your home cooking, your corny jokes that you directed to dad, both behind his back and in his face.  I miss the simplicity of life back at home, I miss my brothers, I miss the dogs (surprisingly), I miss all the little details about home. But I know I am doing this for the right reason.  Not a day goes by that I don't think about you guys. When you get a chance look up "My Brother Hyrum".  Its a Mormon Message and it reminded me of Chase and I know you will love the message it brings.  I miss you more than anyone else.  And just knowing that I will get to see my mom's face in two years is what makes me get up every morning.  I've had some struggles in the MTC with my companion and my own personal conversion, but the people at home push me to be the best I can be. I love you Mom.


P.S.  I got a calling card for when I go to the airport Wednesday morning.  So expect me to call some time then.  Our scheduled flight is supposed to leave around 8:30 am I think, so it'll be before then.  You better answer! Love ya!



Companion and I.  Elder Jones is his name and he is from Idaho Falls, Idaho. Fantastic guy.

Me and a good friend.  Elder Olson is gonna do fantastic in Sweden.

​From left to right:
Elder Freeman, Elder Stohlton, Elder Orlandi, Sister Harris, Sister Hopkins, 
Elder Jones, Elder Gardea, Me, Elder Hull, Elder Nixon and one of our two teachers, Brother Godfrey

This was our last class together as a district with Brother Godfrey.  Brother Godfrey is so amazing, he helped me study in the correct way and helped me come closer to my Heavenly Father.

​Us four were the ones in our District going to Columbus Ohio.
 From left to right:
Sister Harris, Sister Hopkins, Elder Jones & me.

Us at one of our Temple trips.

Another Temple pic

​First day in the MTC. First meal.
Me sitting next to Elder Gardea. 
He's one of the Elders in my district and he is going to Atlanta, Georgia.




No comments:

Post a Comment