Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Weekly Email #5 Bap' Em


Hey everyone! I officially hit my one month mark two days ago! Crazy to think I've been away from home that long and that I will be saying
that 23 more times.... It's so weird.

Anyways some of the many highlights we had this week were pretty rad.
We have an investigator that is getting baptized on the 10th of October (My Birthday) . His name is Matt; He is an awesome individual and is very family centered. Every commitment we give him he goes
above and beyond. He's spoiling me. He listens to EVERYTHING we say to him. He makes my job so easy. We have zero concerns with him and he
loves the Gospel so much. I'm so excited for his Baptism.

This week was our first week we were on bikes and it was... Fantastic!
We have a lot of country roads and our area covers.. well ALOT OF AREA. During this week my companion got a flat tire and we got rained
on three times, two in one day. Don't worry, pictures have definitely been taken and sent so you can observe my embarrassment.


Last Thursday night around 7:30pm we were biking across town from Columbus to Canal Winchester to talk to a less active member and right behind us, a
ginormous rain cloud was sandwiching us between it and another huge cloud. Let's just say we got stuck in it. We got stuck in it BAD. From where we were it should have only taken us 5 minutes to get to our apartment. Instead it took us 20 minutes and that thunderstorm lasted all night. We were biking into the wind and the rain was coming down so hard, I couldn't even look up and it became a combination of heavy breathing and complete exhaustion.








But I'm blessed because before this incident we didn't know what to do or where to go so we followed the promptings that were given to us.
God knew our situation and knew that if we stayed originally where we were at instead of biking across town, it could have been a lot worse. I never thought I would have such an experience and it humbled me a ton.

We also went to Buffalo Wild Wings with a member who paid for me, my companion, and two other elders meals. We got 60 wings between the 5
of us and we got 10 of their hottest wings, the Ghost Wings. I almost chickened out of eating one but decided that death is a good thing. I finished my wing in two bites and it was the most hot, spicy,
electrifying thing I've ever tasted. What it lacked in flavor, it made up for in spiciness. My Filipino family would be proud.

Like I mentioned, a local church member payed for our tab that day.
And just a couple hours ago, we ran into another member at an Arby's. He immediately said hi, gave me and my companion $30, and left with
his family. That $30 payed for our meals and our grocery shopping for this week. I'm so grateful for all the great people I have met on my
mission. And especially for my Heavenly Father for his tender mercies he has given me.

I have been so blessed in the short amount of time I have been in Columbus. There is so much goodness in this world, sometimes you just
have to be willing to create it. Instead of looking at all the worlds problems, I would invite you to have the hymn "Have I Done Any Good"
in your hearts and make our world a better place. People are struggling. So help them out. And when you are struggling, our Heavenly Father is waiting with open arms. We just have to act.

1. Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

2. There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.

[Chorus]
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

Oh and for those that have sent me mail, thank you so much! I'm trying
to find time to answer those asap. Thank you all so much for your love
and treats. Love ya!

Elder G

P.S. Of course I heard about the BYU game. Next, is the OSU game ;) GO COUGARS!


Some pics of our apartment:

















No comments:

Post a Comment