Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Weekly Email # 53 - Finding Success First. Getting Unexpected Disappointment Later.

Hola, Hola!

This past week was a very interesting. We started the week off with a bang and found quite a few new investigators! I was really pumped for the future appointments we had with all of them, since our current pool of people at the time was unfortunately lacking. But this past weekend however, yielded no success. After having all of those appointments be canceled, we realized that we would have no one at church this Sunday and have no progressing investigators. That stands true as of today, so we'll be back on our feet this week! This P-Day was well needed and I'm motivated to get some people to talk to about Jesus!

During my tenure as a missionary, a lot of the investigators I've talked to over the past year have a common quality, in that they all see things in a worldly perspective. No matter how deeply into religion they are, they always make time for their worldly appetites, desires, and addictions. Whenever they weren't talking to us about the Gospel, they were always using their time with social media, video games, partying, friends, you name it. And I look back at my life before the mission and think, wow, if I didn't have the Gospel in my life, I would be one of the laziest bums on the face of this planet. (I think my mom would still be inclined to say I'm a lazy bum regardless. I choose to neither confirm or deny that :) ) Being a Mormon does a lot for us! We are more motivated to live a healthy lifestyle, to be more social and more loving, and pushes us to get out of our comfort zone. I'm grateful for that.

Recently, the Great Ohio Columbus Mission came together to listen to President Daines instruct us on the importance of the Safeguards we use for our technology. Basically it was a two hour meeting about iPads. But President took it a step further and showed us the consequences of being a slave to technology, rather than being its master. It was a powerful meeting and made me reflect on how much I used technology back at home. Self-Control is something I lacked a lot and would just mindlessly browse stupid things just to find the next thing to post on Twitter.

I don't say this to brag, (okay, maybe a little) but President also mentioned that out of 418 missions, 87 of those are using iPads. And there are multiple that are using Facebook. I had a good laugh when President Daines says he hopes that we never get Facebook, it's just a lot more issues (he wanted to say crap) we have to deal with. So we should treasure the opportunity we have to have iPads, and don't worry, I'm doing so!

This goes along well with  what Neal A Maxwell said. Said he, ""Each day we decide the degree of our discipleship." So I'd invite you, as I'm currently trying to do too, to limit your use of technology and use it for good and righteous purposes. That's gonna be hard for me, but I've seen the blessings that come when Heavenly Father advocates us to be more self reliant and more in control and we do just that.


Your reading assignment, should you choose to accept it, comes from Elder Condie who's main topic and name of the talk is, "Having a Mighty Change of Heart". It's awesome and I hope you like it too!

A Mighty Change of Heart

Gotta go. Love you all! Have a splendid week!

Elder Galbraith

P.S. - I burned my shirt. It was really cool. Mom you should post the video when you get it because everyone should see how cool it looked. Cool. See you. (video file is too large to email so you get a picture instead).




Here's another cool quote I decided to put in just cuz.

“How can a man have too much religion? It is the one thing that availeth. A man is but a beast as he lives from day to day, eating and drinking, breathing and sleeping. It is only when he raises himself, and concerns himself with the immortal spirit within him, that he becomes in [very] truth a man. Bethink ye how sad a thing it would be that the blood of the Redeemer should be spilled to no purpose." - A. Conan Doyle

Elder Hatch took me to see a view of Zanesville and it looks really cool! Zanesville is "famous" for its Y bridge, which is on the left hand side of these pictures. So that means they're Cougar fans, right? No?..... Alright then.









No comments:

Post a Comment