Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Weekly Email # 42 - Put your Shoulder to the Wheel

Hey everyone! You looking for a good missionary quote? Here you go.

"I wish to say that none of us ever need hesitate to speak up for this
Church, for its doctrine, for its people, for its divine organization
and divinely given responsibility. It is true. It is the work of God.
The only things that can ever embarrass this work are acts of
disobedience to its doctrine and standards by those of its membership.
That places upon each of us a tremendous responsibility. This work
will be judged by what the world sees of our behavior. God give us the
will to walk with faith, the discipline to do what is right at all
times and in all circumstances, the resolution to make of our lives a
declaration of this cause before all who see us" - Gordon B Hinckley

My studies, recently, have given me the fondest appreciation for our
beloved prophets and apostles. They always advocate us to "choose the
harder right" and they foretell of the blessings that arise after
passing through our individual trials.

Neil L Anderson told us missionaries a few months ago to "always have
the Savior on [our] lips". During this past week, Elder Blanchard and
I went tracting in Fredericktown, a small town just north of Mount
Vernon. We only tracted for 15 minutes. In those 15 minutes, we
knocked on 3 doors, the first one didn't answer, but the next two did.
I knocked on one door that answered, Blanchard knocked on the other
one. When Laura, 32 year old single parent of two kids answered the
door, my mind went blank (not the first time this has happened). As we
exchanged hello's, the Spirit filled my mind with the Plan of
Salvation and I preceded to talk to Laura about being with her kids
for time and all eternity. I had the Savior on my lips and testified
of the truthfulness of our brief visit and also of Him. It was a great
experience!

Sadly, however for the third week in a row, we couldn't get any
investigators to Church. We would have four progressing investigators
if they would come worship with us, but it hasn't been working out.
Time to pull out the big guns.

Our mission just recently started up another Book of Mormon challenge,
where we as a mission read 6-7 pages a day so we can finish the Book
of Mormon together in three months.   This is my second time doing so
and I personally am going to look for any references that apply to
repentance. And I found one to share with you!

1 Nephi 11:36

36 And it came to pass that I saw and bear record, that the great and
spacious building was the pride of the world; and it fell, and the
fall thereof was exceedingly great. And the angel of the Lord spake
unto me again, saying: Thus shall be the destruction of all nations,
kindreds, tongues, and people, that shall fight against the twelve
apostles of the Lamb.

That's scary. Hahaha I like this scripture because it shows how evil
pride is. I'm convinced pride has no good characteristics about itself
and I've personally been working on becoming more humble and of
course, less prideful.

President Ezra Taft Benson says this about pride and adds a quote.

The proud make every man their adversary by pitting their intellects,
opinions, works, wealth, talents, or any other worldly measuring
device against others. In the words of C. S. Lewis: “Pride gets no
pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than
the next man. … It is the comparison that makes you proud: the
pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition has
gone, pride has gone.”

Again, it's been another week where we have had to put our shoulder to
the wheel, but it's been very rewarding. I wish I could tell you more,
but I simply don't have enough time today.

Love you all! Have a great Memorial week/weekend!

Elder G

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment